Sunday, July 21, 2013

My Heart Aches for Murder Ballad

Today Murder Ballad is closing in New York. I never got to see it. I'm continually disappointed when a show I'm interested in closes before I can see it. None has bothered me as badly as the premature closing of Murder Ballad, which was supposed to run through September.


I have been thoroughly enchanted by the cast recording and the entire idea of the show. I've been saying for months that I would see it before it closed.

But just a few weeks ago, they announced a premature closing for today. And I wasn't able to make it to New York in time to see it.

I hope that it becomes popular with regional and community theatres. I want the chance to be able to see this show in some form someday. But I suppose only time will tell. Until then, I have to console myself with the cast recording (which is phenomenal, by the way!).


In celebration (or mourning) of the closing of Murder Ballad, I spent my morning making a batch of cupcakes inspired by the show. I wish I lived close enough that I could have seen the show and maybe even delivered these cupcakes to the cast. Instead, I'll share them with my co-workers, who won't get it, but will love that I baked. I'll be sure to tell them they should thank the show. :)


I also find it interesting that it's an Idiot date today. One of the dates mentioned in American Idiot when Johnny writes letters throughout the show. Today's letter was from Johnny to Whatsername, played by Rebecca Naomi Jones on Broadway. Even though Rebecca left Murder Ballad last week to be a part of The Public Theatrer's Shakespeare in the Park musical version of Love's Labour's Lost.

If you haven't been lucky enough to discover Murder Ballad yet, you can still check out the cast recording on their website and I'm including a video below of the title number of the show. Get into it!


No comments:

Post a Comment